Wednesday, February 10, 2010

14 Cows for America



Feeling chilly this cold February night? I have the perfect antidote! 14 Cows for America written by Carmen Agra Deedy, in collaboration with Wilson Kimeli Naiyomah, is guaranteed to warm your heart. Oh, friend! Books like this one are why I love children's literature! Set in western Kenya, the author and illustrator (Thomas Gonzalez) weave a tell of profound selflessness and unity. The unity of mankind. The selflessness and sacrifice of the Maasai people. The goal of my blogging isn't to give you a summary of the plot and that is why, friend, I don't want to reveal any more of what this sacrifice is. Just trust me when I tell you that this story will deeply humble you and your children. The actual story is less than 30 pages long. But they are 30 of the most beautiful pages I've ever read or seen. Stories that change you from the inside out are too few. The icing on the cake is that this is a true story!

After the story, there is a short biography about the book's main character, Kimeli Naiyomah. On the dedication page Kimeli writes:

"To all the little children who read this book. You are the peace the world has been waiting for. May you grow to be compassionate diplomats."

Friend, I am so blessed and yet think so little in respect to helping others. Do I love? Do I sacrifice at all? Would I give up something my life depended on for another person? Someone I didn't even know? Expecting nothing in return? And with such joy and celebration?

YOU HAVE TO READ THIS BOOK!
If it isn't obvious, this book earned an "A+" from the Literbug!

I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did!

1 comment:

  1. To understand the magnitude of the sacrifice, you have to put yourself into the shoes of the Maasai. Owning a cow is something these people only dream about. That will definitely need to be discussed with children.

    ReplyDelete