Friday, February 12, 2010

Extending "14 Cows for America"


Learning about different places and people fascinates me. Knowing how vast and diverse the world is is both awesome and humbling. I mean, I get all caught up in my little portion of the world and forget that I'm just a tiny piece of the whole picture. And even as I say that, I don't consider myself or my family insignificant. No, it's empowering, actually. I mean, if you think of being but a piece of mankind, you must concentrate on what is possible with the "whole body"! The struggles and joys of people from all over our world become mine and yours. Ok, humor me by following this slight tangent, friend! One of my favorite poems (originally intended as prose) touches on this exact sentiment. The Renaissance author, John Donne, is able to eloquently communicate how we are all interconnected. Read this:

No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manner of thine own
Or of thine friend's were.
Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.

Oh, friend! You know your high school English teacher would be so proud of you if you memorized those lines by heart! And I would be too! It's just beautiful! Now, I know this is slightly above a youngster's head (depending on the age of your youngster) but older kids would be able to digest this poem and compare Donne's themes with that of Deedy's.

Geography lesson: It is so easy with the internet to pull up a map (I used Google maps) and actually show kids where Kenya is. Our story takes place in western Kenya, very close to Tanzania, which sits on the eastern edge of Africa. The Maasai people are truly amazing. Go to www.maasai-association.org to learn all about their customs, concerns, and passions. Though it seems automatic to focus on the differences between our culture and the Maasai, spend lots of time with your family discussing the similarities between them. (we all love a good story, we live in communities, we're proud of our culture and heritage, we have to protect what is valuable to us, we all deal with tragedy, we all have a responsibility to mankind, etc.)

Personal Challenge:
On the Maasai Association website, there is a link for sponsoring a child to attend school and how you could donate a cow or goat to a family in need. What an awesome opportunity for a family! Inspire your kids to organize a yard sale (under your direction of course) and use the money to help another child go to school or buy a family a cow! I believe that if you sponsor a child, you will receive feedback on who you were able to help, etc. Instill in your family a desire to help others! Because if your kids are anything like mine, they don't need another toy or outfit. They have plenty already. And the joy of a new toy eventually grows old anyway and they just want another and another. The joy of giving can last forever! What a small sacrifice it would take from us. But what an impact it might have on other human beings...an extension of ourselves!

Happy reading, friend! I just adore you all!

1 comment: